Lazy person's recipe:
- Buy pre-made mix
- Pour on Waffle iron
- Wait until it's done cooking
- COVER in butter, cinnamon and sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (213g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (70g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Basically ALL of the cinnamon and sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Preheat a belgian waffle iron (if you don't have a belgian waffle maker a regular waffle maker would work fine). In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, make a well in center of mixture and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg yolks until combined. In a separate bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on high speed, whip egg whites (make sure there isn't a drop of yolk or they'll never fluff up) until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whip until stiff glossy peaks form.
- While whisking, pour buttermilk mixture into well in flour mixture and mix just until combined (batter should be slightly lumpy). Fold in egg white mixture. Cook batter in waffle iron according to manufactures directions. Once each waffle is done, transfer to warm oven and allow to rest until crisp. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
- Brush top of waffle with melted butter (be sure to get in each square) then pour a generous amount of cinnamon sugar into a 9-inch pie dish and dunk butter coated side in cinnamon sugar mixture. **Recipe source: inspired by Fifteen Spatulas